On June 14, 2023, an extraordinary incident unfolded when Mo Kennedy involuntarily consumed one of her AirPods Pro earbuds during a deep slumber. This peculiar circumstance burgeoned into a nine-hour emergency room expedition that culminated in an unplanned endoscopy. The incident left an indelible impression not only on Kennedy but also on the medical professionals involved.
Kennedy’s ordeal began at around 3 a.m. when she woke abruptly to the realization that one of her prized AirPods Pro was no longer by her bedside but presumably lodged somewhere within her digestive system. Despite her attempts to reverse the situation, the AirPod remained stubbornly inside.
Consequently, Kennedy and her mother deemed it prudent to pay an urgent visit to the Covington Medical Center’s emergency department.
“Anyone who’s had an AirPod go missing might want to consider checking their digestive tract – I certainly had to,” Kennedy humorously remarked in a TikTok video capturing her predicament.
After a CT scan, doctors discovered that the AirPod had manoeuvred itself into a precarious position deeper in Kennedy’s stomach. This raised concerns about potential complications that might necessitate invasive surgical procedures if immediate action wasn’t taken.
As a preventive measure, Kennedy underwent an emergency endoscopy, which successfully extricated the AirPod from its unintended location. Waking up post-procedure, she found the recovered AirPod safe and sound in a cup on her lap.
Expressing immense gratitude for the proficient care and pleasant demeanour of the medical staff, Kennedy noted, “If you’re considering AirPods Pro, I would absolutely endorse them. However, I vehemently advise against ingesting them. Thankfully, I got to unintentionally test their resistance to stomach acid for nine hours and they passed remarkably.”